Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nota Bene

Last night hubby and I went to check out Rusalka. Our first Czech opera and it was interesting, but not what we expected. There were definite cool moments and the set design was quite amazing.

Before the show we tried a new restaurant for us called Nota Bene. I must confess that when I heard the executive chef there was David Lee, I slightly pushed for this to be the restaurant pick for the night.

It was exquisite!!! My first David Lee meal and boy oh boy did it live up to my every expectation (Unlike Rusalka...)

The atmosphere of the environment was perfect. Sweet Vandals and St. Germain on the stereo, business young professionals grabbing a cocktail on their way home and lovely lighting. Not too bright, not too dark. The restaurant was a buzz and full, yet I could whisper to hubby and have a private conversation. We sat in a recessed booth in the lounge that allowed us to have a lovely view of Queen St. while we ate, yet the privacy to have a few kisses too. Amazing!!!

The service was impeccable! No upselling, no pretentiousness, no snobbery, no judgement, no being in our faces either! Just good old fashion attention when we need it and knowledgeable recommendations when asked. Oh! and they didn't force bottled water down our throats either!

The food. THE FOOD! Oh my goodness... THE FOOOOODDD!!! It was devine. I imagine that is what it is like to eat in heaven everyday. For starters I had the tuna tartare with avocado and crispy shallots. It looked like art and tasted like an event that was happening on my tongue. Incredible. Hubby had butter nut squash soup with pecans. Delicious, not too big, not too small... Goldi-freaking-locks perfect. For mains I had the short ribs and hubby had the mushroom pasta. Both perfect in every way and so delicious. For dessert, caramel pudding with vanilla and citrus. It very truly was the perfect finish.

I left feeling so happy and content and thought, that was pleasantly uneventful, until one of the servers bumped into me and an entire tray of glasses smashed on to the floor. That made it an official me event, and hubby embarrassed, yet lovingly let me know it was okay. Apparently I left my grace somewhere and have yet to find it.

No comments: