Monday, February 23, 2009

Leroi

There are certain people in your life that you never think will die. I mean you know that everyone has to sometime, but somehow this minor detail seems to get lost in all the joy.

I remember that rainy night in Waterloo when my still developing at the time and now best friend and I were getting to know each other. We lay on beds on opposite sides of the room and he asked me to close my eyes while he played me his favourite band. It was Live at Luther and the percussive style guitar resonated with something very deep inside of me. I fell in love.

Later he showed me other albums and that is when I met Leroi. He made me fall in love with the saxophone. So much so, that I even rented one years later and tried to learn... The sweet melodies he would play filled my soul. I had the opportunity to see him live 18 times and every time was magical.

Ironically he passed away suddenly on my hubby's birthday. The man who made me fall in love with saxophone died on the anniversary of the day the man I fell in love with who plays saxophone was born. It may sound silly, but I do think that Leroi had a hand in connecting me and my hubby.

Now the summer tour dates have been announced, the new album is out in April and the quint is a quart. The right side of the stage will seem empty and the album will sound... well I don't know how it will sounds, I let you know in April.

Dear Leroi. You were deeply loved by so many and will be missed. Your fan, Me.

No comments: