Thursday, March 25, 2010

Discovering that I heart sewing

I have been taking a couple of sewing classes at this place in Parkdale, The Workroom. I love it there. The space is beautiful and has just the right amount of creative energy to inspire you. It is not snobby or pretentious. People get excited about making things and there is a lot of exchanges of knowledge that take place. The owner has a wonderful eye and selects beautiful fabric for the store. I don't think I have seen one fabric in there that I haven't liked. It is such a rare find and I am so happy to have the opportunity to use the space.

Right now I am making an A-line skirt. The pattern is just gorgeous to me. Its simple and clean and full of possibilities. I know that I will be making it a bunch of times playing with different fabric textures. I also found a really great sheath dress pattern that I am currently making in this brilliant gem toned turquoise colour. The actual fabric is nothing to write home about and doesn't feel great on the skin, but at $5/m it was hard to pass up at this stage in my sewing know how.

I am really excited about mastering some of the basics and splurging on some nicer fabrics. Finally I can have the wardrobe of Mary Tyler Moore and Barbara Eden that I have always dreamed of. I can adjust darts to fit my body and custom cut material to show off my assets and not highlight my work in progress areas.

Tonight I will be learning how to sew an invisible zipper. I'm looking forward to this so much that I have caught myself glancing at the clock a few times today. I was also dreaming about sewing last night in my sleep. I day dream in the car about different projects and do not realize that I have not said a word to my dear hubby in over twenty minutes! I am so drunk on the creative possibilities and am loving every moment.

No comments: